A remake of Squish'Em (C64) from Sirius
Product state: released
Current version: V1.05
V1.05 Build 0121 (01.03.2017)
- Recompiled with freshest units.
- Minor optimizations in datafile.
V1.05 Build 0104 (19.11.2014)
V1.04 Build 0012 (06.08.2009)
- New datafile container format.
- WAV sound effects are compressed into MP3. (-> Smaller data file)
- In intro press ESC to exit program, space/enter to continue.
- Intro scroll now has solid background.
- Press F12 for settings almost anytime.
- There's a small blinking warning sign before falling things.
V1.04 Build 0010 (05.08.2009)
- Flying score numbers added.
V1.04 Build 0001 (30.07.2009)
- Some optimizations in the datafile.
- Added the MusicBar (Shows music title and author when the music starts).
V1.00 Build 0008 (03.08.2003)
- Recompiled with latest classes and units. A bit faster than the original due to
removed bugs in the timing routines.
V1.00 Build 0001 (29.07.2003)
- Unnecessary units removed so the EXE is smaller.
- The 2 missing sound FX added.
- TODO: Nothing. If bugs are reported, fix them. But none yet... :-)
V0.99 Build 0432 (28.07.2003)
- Little glitch is removed, I think everything is OK now with the collision detection.
- When parachute picked up, player jumps down, and starts another tower.
- There's a screen with rules and controls.
- Game Over logo and code done.
- Cheat mode for juries added...
- TODO: Squish sound. Maybe take it from the original... But I send it in without this... If I can do it tomorrow I will update the entry.
V0.99 Build 0354 (20.07.2003)
- Squished monster gfx ready.
- Parachute gfx done.
- Parachute object done.
- Score awarded after climbing upward... (10 points for each row)
- Faller doesn't come anymore when the top is reached.
- Sounds added for level change and xtra life.
- The top of the tower is now correctly closed down.
- Parachute now picked up when touched, and music played.
- Sample rates are lowered to 22100 Hz. This shrinks filesize very much.
- Faller can hit the Player.
- Player falls out when hit. (Music plays too...)
- Monsters can hit the Player.
- Player can squish the monsters. They wait some time and come again, second
- There is a little glitch in the collision detection: What you can see is
that you stomp the monster with your legs, but it not squishes, rather kills
you. It occurs when the player misses the monster by one pixel, and in the
next cycle it will detect that the monster hits the player (that is correct,
since they really collide).
V0.99 Build 0294 (13.07.2003)
- Sliding left-right, climbing and the faller object now has sound.
- Scoreboard added.
- When picking up Xtra life, life counter is increased.
- Collision detection added: Player vs. Xtra life.
- A little bit of reworking the grid technology.
- Player now stomps when SPACE pressed.
- Collision Masks of all currently ready active objects created.
- 1 more extra life gfx ready (4 out of 4 known)
V0.99 Build 0214 (27.06.2003)
- Things fall onto your head every 10 seconds. (On level 3 and up)
- Extra life appears between every 2nd and 3rd floor.
- 3 Extra life gfx ready (3 out of 4 known)
- 5 "thing that falls onto your head" gfx. (5 out of 6 known)
- 2 more monster movement modes implemented. (3 out of 3)
- 6 more enemy gfx. (15 out of 15)
V0.99 Build 0118 (15.06.2003)
- FPS counter added.
- Monster drawing routines are reworked, to gain more FPS on slower machines.
- 3 more enemy gfx. (Ready 9 - Total 15)
- Modified monster gfx loading/rendering technology to enable animating the
variable color part of the monsters.
- Pipe colors can be picked only from the 9 predefined monster color (taken
from the original game's palette). I want to be the most authentic... :-)
V0.99 Build 0092 (09.06.2003)
- Monsters are resized. It seems that the tallest is 12 pixels high in the
original, so it will be 24 pixels in the remake. (Was 32 before)
- Another three monster gfx are ready.
- The monsters appear in the grid, moving left-right in 9 different colours.
- So here's the time for a screenshot just for comparing the old and the new...
V0.99 Build 0000 (02.06.2003)
- Player sprite drawn.
- Pipe and walls are drawn.
- Player can move left-right, and climp up the grid. (Of 'coz animated!)
- Grid detection works. You can only climb where the pipe leads upwards.
- Pipe color changes when player reaches row 48 and 32. These rows indicate
that you reached the next level.
- The first three monster gfx is done. I didn't know that it will require so
much memory... There's 15 monster with 10 colors each. On a 8 bit palettized
mode it would be easy to create them, but in 16 bit I need to hold all
combinations in mem...
- I must say that SDL is VERY good. I wrote some scrolling with direct
DirectDraw access, and that was somehow slower...
- Yeah, yesterday I read the compo rules, and found that this game will be a perfect
entry for the compo. So I quickly designed the logo (that orangish one on the main page),
and made this page to let you follow the development of the game. So check back often
to see the progress...